Friday, January 20, 2012

Thoughts in Words

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."
 Joshua 1:9

First off, I need to unleash the tiny bit of inner craftiness I have and make the chalkboard I have been wanting for months now. Then I need to hang it in my kitchen and write this on it to read, to reassure myself, to calm me as I race each morning to attempt to get organized and ready for the day before all the little Birds begin stir. Be still my heart...this past year of parenting has been one of great accomplishment for us, one of learning, one of appreciation, one of gaining inner strength, one chalk full of blessings!

I remember the day we found out we were having twins like it was yesterday....a mere 6 weeks along and having my first ultrasound at Dr. Reddy's office, watching the screen as she stared intently on the TWO little blobs (ok, birds)...yes, I could distinctly see TWO and the expression on her face confirmed the overwhelming fear that began to mount inside. She smiled and hovered over the first blob and there it was, the sound of "Baby A's" heartbeat....then the sound of "Baby B's" heartbeat...fear quickly turned to excitement and pure joy! Filled with a multitude of mixed emotions, I left her office and called Derek. He answered and immediately asked if everything was "ok" with the baby...well, yes, everything was more than "ok". I then proceeded to ask him if he was sitting down and he jokingly responded with "Why, is it twins?"...um yes! "WOW" and then he was speechless. I then remember then telling my mom and her reaction was classic and exactly what I expected..."Are you crazy?!":) Well, I wasn't then but occasionally feel crazy now. I remember thinking how are we going to do this, can I carry TWO babies to term,  how are we going to take care of TWO babies and a toddler, how am I going to go anywhere with three kids that young, how am I going to grocery shop, will we ever sleep again?
Everyone told us the first year would be the most challenging with twins, that after a year we would have a glimmer of our lives back. Honestly, some thought we would handle it well...others, well, not so much. I feel like the first 3 months were the most challenging and then we got in our "groove" (you know I am a stickler for schedules!!!) and never looked back! It is amazing how God perfectly equipped us (with the help of loving family and friends) to handle such wonderful little miracles. I can't imagine my life any other way and am so grateful for my THREE perfect children. No matter the craziness that so often ensues, I am mindful of how lucky I am for it. When things get rough, I am reminded to "keep calm and carry on"....I know it's a lesson on the patience that I continually pray for more of...and in the end, the challenging days make the "easy" ones that much sweeter. After all, when we tuck our children into bed at night, all the rough patches of the day are forgotten and we feel an overwhelming sense of joy and indescribable love....our hearts are full and for that we are abundantly grateful.  

"I looked on childrearing not only as a work of love and duty but as a profession that was fully interesting and challenging as any honourable profession in the world and one that demanded the best that I could bring to it. "
-- Rose Kennedy

No comments:

Post a Comment