Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Real Food

After coming across some interesting (and disturbing) reading material on food, I realized our eating habits needed overhaul and we made the decision to make some seriously drastic changes. We are moving smoothly along on our journey of transitioning away from processed food and refined sugar. Our family likes to "go big or go home" when it comes to a lot of things and this shift in our way of life has been no different. Instead of slowly cutting things out of the diet and transitioning at turtle pace, we pretty much took the leap and "went big", completely redefining how we eat and  how I cook...which is all the time now since cutting processed food means cutting out many of the conveniences of this modern day world...goodbye goldfish. I know, I know, me cooking from scratch all the time...amusing. All in all, it has not been as difficult as I was anticipating. My little Birds love to eat and, like their mommy, love to snack. Snack time has proved to be the most challenging...preparing something simple and yummy, that travels well in the car or stroller, that is easy enough for toddlers to eat. We're getting creative though....and honestly, since there is no junk in the house, they don't miss it. My worry was that Hudson would have the most difficult time, seeing as how he has my sweet tooth and also knows good and well what he will be missing out on...but again, to my surprise, he's been a champ! Don't worry though, mommy has mastered making freezy pops and ice cream (yes, ice cream without refined sugar) and they are a delicious treat that all the Birds love!!! I explained to family and friends about our new way of eating and several people continue to ask how the "diet" is going. Well, I don't consider it a diet and I don't feel like we are missing out on anything...frankly, quite the opposite. The Real Food Diet Way of Life simply put---no processed foods, no refined sugar, and anything you do purchase for consumption from a grocery store (for example, bread...which we now have to buy from the Farmer's Market until I get a bread maker) cannot have more than 5 ingredients. I have even had to substitute whole wheat pasta in my Grandma's oh so delicious homemade mac & cheese (a staple in our home), and it is still just as yummy. Now if I can just start making whole wheat and corn tortillas I can break out some more of her recipes. Over the last few weeks, we've tried alot of new things and my husband loves having homemade breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  It's definitely been a journey of trial and error...and will continue to be as I attempt to become a better cook:)

No comments:

Post a Comment