Tuesday, August 30, 2011

We don't say "Yeah"

Hudson: "We don't say yeah, we say yes ma'am and yes sir." 

As a huge proponent of good manners and as a mommy who is working hard to ensure that my children will value them, you can only imagine the pride, the excitement, the pure joy that I feel as I hear my 2 year old son say this to people who he hears using the word "yeah". Whether it be a mere acquaintance or, most recently, his Opa, he will call them out on it and correct them! "We don't say yeah, we say yes ma'am and yes sir."  It brings a smile to my face and a tear to my eye. He really was listening every time I uttered those same words to him. I absolutely love that he "uses his manners" and it is amazing how many people notice them. I was in Target with the kiddos one day...Hudson was super excited because he got to pick out a new movie. Some sweet older ladies were oohing and ahhing over the twins and Hudson. They asked him a question and he responded ever so politely with a "yes ma'am". Both smiled and one of them looked at me and said "we never hear that anymore so thank you, mommy, for teaching him yes ma'am"......to which I politely responded with "yes ma'am". We also figured that it is never too early to start teaching children to "use their manners" as we call it, so Hudson is helping teach the twins "please" and "thank you"...in sign language, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment